Friday, February 3, 2012

The Year I Turned 16: Rose, Daisy, Laurel, and Lily.

Hiya! It's Abbi here. I know the last time I wrote about a book was a while ago. And I know that the last time I posted something was a while ago, too. Here's my excuse: READING!!!!!! :D

Seriously.

Reading.

I went to the library and got sixteen (hey, that matches my post!) books two days ago. I've read, like four already. One that I'm just dying to tell you about is The Year I Turned 16. The book I read was this huge 700 paged book (That I finished in a day and a half, and am very proud of) that has all the books together. There are really four different books. One for each sister--Rose, Daisy, Laurel, and Lily.

                         **THIS MAY (PROBABLY) INCLUDE A (FEW) SPOILER(S)**
         ** SINCE THIS IS SO GOOD, I'M JUST GONNA TELL YOU WHAT HAPPENS**

Lemme start with Rose; the first character. It begins on her 16th birthday. She has a wonderful, rich, handsome boyfriend named Parker. She, on the other hand, isn't rich. She's poor. Her father passed away a year before, and he was a fisher. Rose's mother got a job, but it's not doing much.

Her mother sits them down and tells them, hey, we're pretty much broke. Rose, you need to get a job. So that's what Rose does, she gets a job. Parker and her are having problems lately. He's always disappearing, and even though he says he loves Rose, Rose doesn't think he does. She thinks somethin' is up.

Parker's friend, Val, has a brother. He keeps trying to warn Rose about Parker. He knows that Parker and Val are secretly meeting eachother. One day, Rose finds out that Parker went to the docks (She asked his parents). Guess who she sees?!? VAL AND PARKER. O: Craaaaazzzzyyy, right?!

Right after she confronts Parker a few days later, she see's Val's brother. They fall in love<333 ('''':
She moves out of her home, into a small apartment, where her mom finds her future husband.


Then you meeeeeet DAISY!!!!(:

By now, Rose is 18, Laurel is 13, Lily is 10. and Daisy is sixteen. Rose and Val's brother are still together. She's amazing at everything; the perfect child. She's amazing at sports and plays them, she's gorgeous, and just, you know, perfect. One day, at one of her soccer games, she breaks her leg. When she can't do too much, she feels like her family wants her--needs-- her to be perfect.She is sick and tired of being the perfect, though.

 So when she meets Peter, a bad boy, she kind of forgets about her family, and pushes them away. One day, Peter is drunk. He comes to pick her up, and he FLIPS OUT. Turns out, the talk around town is true: he and his friend stole from a convenience store a few miles down the road.

She breaks up with Peter, as you can imagine. There's also some news: Rose is getting married! So happy, so happy.

Next you have Laurel. She's now 16, Rose is 22, and Lily is 13. Lily is also a brrrrrat. Anyway, Laurel has this buddy named Jack. They've known each other since he was 10, like her. When she was 12, he asked to to be his boyfriend. She said no. She thought he was asking her out because asking someone out was the latest trend

Anyway, she has her party. Her and Daisy are really close. They go on a walk, have a little chat. After Daisy leaves--so does everyone else--Laurel and the crew go to bed. They wake up, though when there's a phone call around midnight (GET READY TO CRY--I DID) Daisy. Is. Dead.

She died in a car crash. It was storming. Oh my gosh. I cried SO HARD. I felt so empty. . .and sad. ): This happening, made me, of course, re-read Daisy's story. Laurel feels so sad. This was her sister. The one she was really close to.

One day, Jack can't hind his feelings for her. He's been in love with her for a long, long time. Laurel is all happy, and they start dating. She keeps working at the animal hospital. She has a super crush on Carlos, someone who she works with. He's 19, though. That doesn't stop her from falling for him.

Laurel finds some shocking news: Lily was thinking of running away with a boy she met over the internet. Laurel stops that quickly. Anywho, she breaks up with Jack--he's devastated. They don't talk. Then at Rose's wedding(!!!!!!), he talks to her and dances with her. They're friends again. Rose and Laurel have a heart-to-heart about Daisy, then that book ends. *Dreamy sigh*

LILY!!! is 16. Rose is 25, Laurel is 18. Daisy is gone *cry!cry!D:< anger*

Lily has a problem; she has no idea who she is. She's not an artist, not popular, not into sports, not into acting. Her friends ask her to join this writing class. Lily LOVES writing. She's an amazing writer. When she is asked to read a very emotional short story that she's written, everyone laughs. Her crush, Seth(he's in the "It" crew), does, too.

Right when Lily thinks her world is officially over, she's congratulated. The "It" crew thought it was HILARIOUS. Her and Seth begin dating. Lily's friends feel like she's totally forgotten about them, and become this emo-goth popular It Girl.

Lily's writing partner has a crush on Lily, but she doesn't know it. He get's frustrated when she changes so quickly. When Seth meets this new emo-goth cool girl, he dumps Lily. She blows it off like it's nothing. Before any of this happened, Lily kissed Daniel, her writing partner, while they were on a writing date.

Oh, I forgot to add: ROSE IS PREGGERS!  Anywho, Lily ends up being with Daniel (How cute<3).
Laurel gets engaged to Carlos, and Rose has her baby, Daisy (I cried here, too). Daisy. She named her Daisy.<33 Ah, so the story ends.


Here are the pictures that come on the original books that are separate. p.s these aren't what I imagined the girls to look like.



^
Rose

^
Daisy :'D





^
Laurel 



^
Lily

I hope y'all like my spoiler post. It's very long, so I understand if you didn't read the entire thing, hahah. Anyway, I think I've found my favorite book(: These wonderful books are written by Diane Schwemm.
I don't have a website for her; I can't find one.

Thanks, and I hope you've enjoyed my post! Thanks you guys!!


-Abbi.

8 comments:

  1. Abbi I am going right to the library tomorrow and picking up these books! Thanks for sharing them! :D
    ~Seana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome!(: I'm glad you like'em.
      You're so welcome! :D

      -Abbi

      Delete
  2. OMG I have to read those books!!! they sound like they are so good. thnaks for the review other wise i would never know about them

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You so need to! They're awesome! You're welcome. ^^

      Delete
  3. I love spoilers. It helps me decide if I want to get the book or not. Thanks so much, I really enjoyed it a lot. And I don't like it when someone like Daisy does in a book. So sad. I did something similar: after the episode of Wizards of Waverly place where Justin sees Juliet get old and hobble away, it made me so sad that I made up a happy version.

    I tried to help you find Diane's info and I found this on her publisher's site. It doesn't say much but it's something.

    http://authors.simonandschuster.biz/Diane-Schwemm/1218210

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yeah, they do help. I love them. With this book, I just couldn't resist! >.<'

      Delete
  4. P.S. You are a much better reviewer than I am. :D Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awwwwww! Thank you :3 I'm sure you're just as good, though.

      Delete