Saturday, July 12, 2014

The Rut of Writing

Funny how I can sit down and write a blog entry, but when it comes to continuing my chapter, I'm lost. I finally finished editing chapters 1-6 of Kidnapped and now I'm working on chapter 7. I've only gotten to 30k words and in order for it to be more drawn out, I need more detail and more action. Unfortunately detail is my downfall.
I mean, I know how to add detail. I can add lots of detail, sure. But when I read over it, I feel like it's too drawn out and boring. I don't know if that could be my own judgement or if it's true. Ultimately my goal is to get published, but I don't want to send in some boring work. I need to spice it up, add some action. I have all of these plans for my book and I know what I want to happen - my problem is getting there. I desperately need to get there. Once I finally do.. all of this writers block and distress will go away. I have issues with jumping from my character's thoughts back to the current time without it seeming short or cut off. 
If any of you guys have tips please give them to me! I am in serious need of them right now. I want my first novel to be around 50 or 60k words so that it might be 250 pages or so. But most of all, I want my first novel to be good. I want it to be a hit and I want it to be published with a relatively good company so that it will be more popular. I don't want this because of my own desires for it to be a famous book, I want the message of the book to be heard. I think that Kidnapped has a good message to hear because it shows a young girl in distress, trying to escape from her life of lies and hurt - even if it means giving everything she loves away - because it's for the best. We all know the hardest things in life to do are the best things for us. What I'm trying to get people to see is not that you have to be in a difficult situation like Erica, but that no matter what situation you're in, you can overcome. You don't have to be in pain anymore because you can escape. You can conquer whatever is holding you back from being who you were created to be.  

No comments:

Post a Comment