Friday, July 26, 2013

Across the Universe

Hi, guys! It's Abbi here, just y'know writing a review of a book I've recently read called Across the Universe by the author Beth Revis

The book begins with 17-year-old Amy getting frozen as cargo along with her parents. The cargo gets moved on to a space ship named Godspeed, headed for a planet that scientists believe humans can live on. Thing is, the ship doesn't land for 300 years

Little did she know, she would wake up 50 years early. And the thing is, no one knows who woke her up. 
She is on a ship where people are practically brain washed into a life made up of routines. The people look a like, talk a like and act a like. Along the way, she meets some friendly...and not-so friendly people. 

The thing is, it's not just her that was unplugged. Others are getting unplugged. It takes some time to realize, but eventually they notice these aren't accidents. These are murders. Amy takes her new friend, Elder and his friend (I forgot his name) to find the killer before it's Amy's parents who are next.

The book was said to be a thriller, though it wasn't. it had more of a YA romance edge to it. There were parts I thought were beautiful and then there were the parts that just bored me. It's a good read, and a nice break away from the usual dystopian novels, though it isn't anything too unique. 

I do recommend the book. It's a nice rainy day or a car ride read. I'd probably rate it 7/10. Something that got on my nerves though, was the use of "frex" as explicit language. As for age, probably 13+. The book did have a part during "mating season." (I know, right?) where she did almost get raped, so.

I hope you enjoyed this review and that it will encourage you to read it!

                  Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment